Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Argument


“What are you looking at”!!!? I scream at the light-skin boy in the yellow mervo freshmen shirt.

“Get out of my face”!!! He screams at me a lot more loudly than I would have liked.

“Who are you talking to”??? I ask him as I look into his eyes challenging him to say more.

“I’m talking to YOU”!!! And as he says that the lunch bell rings and I’m left standing there in mid-sentence.

I walk out of class and go into the girl’s bathroom from across the hall. I look into the mirror and admire my extravagant figure in the mirror. I’m brown-skinned and very slim with nice shoulder length curly hair, track of course. I hear the bathroom door open and my friend Shanisha she smile as she asks

“What was that all about”? She says with a small smile on her face. Shanisha looks like me but she’s a few shades darker and about 20 pounds thicker but she’s not fat.

“He was too loud and plus he spilled that milk all over the place! He was being an asshole” I tell Shanisha.

“Look Anna he wasn’t the one who spilled the milk it was David and he was only being loud because you were being loud” She tells me gently.

“Yeah maybe you’re right” I don’t look her in the eye. “I guess I’d better get to class”

“OK” She says as I leave the bathroom.

I walk into class just as the bell rings and sit in my seat in my 3rd period math class. Within a few minutes I’m really getting into the drill someone else enters the room. It’s the light-skinned kid that spilled the milk at lunch. He walks up to the teacher and hands her a pass she tells him to take his seat and to stop fooling around people say “Hey Charles” and give him high fives. He then makes his way towards his seat, wait his seat right next to me and that surprises me a lot. I try my hardest to just ignore him and to finish my work but after the drill we’re assigned a worksheet but we have to work in pairs. Guess who my partner.

“So….I guess we have to get started” Charles says to me timidly.

“Look I don’t have time for your crap I don’t want to work with you so I’ll just do the entire paper ALONE”!!! I tell him.

“How will I get my grade it’s a”

“I don’t care what you do just sign your name when your finished”!!! I tell him with anger coursing through my veins.

“Ok” Just a simple okay no explanation or anything and I also notice that he doesn’t look very mad it seems like he was trying to be nice.

I stare down at the paper and no matter how I look at the problems I can’t make any sense of them.

“Need any help” Charles asks me.

“Uhm yeah” I say with a small smile on my lips.

After a while of Charles working in silence I ask him.

“Why aren’t you mad at me”? I ask him.

He doesn’t reply for a while and I began to think that he won’t, finally he says.

“I’ve learned to forgive people and plus to be honest it wasn’t that serious”

“Really”?? I ask.

“Yeah”

“Wow your actually a pretty nice person” I tell him sincerely.

“Uhh….Thanks”

After that day me and Charles were on pretty good terms and to be honest he was a pretty good looking guy. I just might ask him to go with me to the Sophomore Ball if I get enough nerve. I never knew that Charles was a nice person and I wouldn’t have if I never took the chance to get to know him. Well I guess the saying “Don’t Judge A Book By It’s Cover” had to come from somewhere.
                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                            -Charles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment